Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Relative to Unemployment Compensation: to AFL-CIO Blog

I had a form of unemployment compensation (Private Disability), which paid 60% of my previous income.

After about one year, the Private Insurer insisted that I apply for Social Security, saying that they would cut off my benefits, if I did not.

After my Social Security came through, the application and approval process took about six months, but SSDI paid me back wages, the Private Insurer carved out the Social Security, making it approximately a 50-50 proposition for about another year.

Then the Privates dropped out. My income, however, did not halve, because in my particular situation the Social Security was not taxable.

Structural unemployment should be viewed as a disability (of the system).


In Peace, Friendship, Community, Cooperation, and Solidarity,

Mike Morin
Peoples' Equity Union
Eugene, OR
(541) 343-3808

No comments:

Post a Comment